When Bolton Wanderers was first founded, Christ Church had a very nomadic existence. They had to play at various locations in their area. The club, that was subsequently renamed to Bolton Wanderers, began playing regular football at Pike’s Lane from 1881 onwards. They spent just £150 on improving the pitch, and their season tickets were worth just a guinea. They played there continuously for 14 long years until their tenancy finished and they shifted to Burnden Park.
This stadium was in the Burnden area in Bolton approximately a mile from the middle of the town. The ground was the home of the Boltons team for over a hundred years. At its peak, the stadium could hold seventy-thousand people. The figure was reduced drastically in the last twenty years of its life. One section of this embankment was sold in 1986 to make space for a Normid superstore. At the time, the club was in dire need of money and was struggling to languish in the third division of the Football League. There weren’t too much demand for tickets at the time and selling off part of the stadium gave the directors decent money.
By 1992, the directors of the club decided that it wasn’t going to be easy to convert the stadium into a seated one for a club with their ambition. That’s when a decision was made to construct a stadium in Horwich. The stadium was opened in August of 1997 with a total capacity of 29,000. The stadium was sponsored by Reebok and got named the Reebok Stadium. This didn’t go down positively with many fans since they found it to be quite impersonal initially, but the opposition lessened considerably after the stadium was completed. In 2014, it got renamed because of Macron sportswear who became their new sponsors. This is a four-year deal which will last till 2018.